Monday, April 16, 2012

Fostering Independance, Montessori around the house.

Hi Readers,

We have recently been away and while I was away I got to curl up with a few Montessori books I had been waiting to read. It was a good reminder as to what Montessori Philosophy is all about and it was the kick in the butt that I needed to put my Daughter and my relationship back on track.

Montessori advocates to 'Follow the Child' and watch and observe and then act on those observations. My Daughter has been wanting more independence for a very long time and I have been fighting it. Insisting that I should still be doing 'Everything' making her lunch. helping her to get dressed, picking everything she wears, not allowing her to get involved because there would be mess etc etc. You get the idea and we have been fighting ever since until the other day when I finally had the 'AHA' Moment when I watched her do something for her self and proudly turn to me and say 'Mummy I can do it all by myself'.  I had to let go of the baby I had so desperately wanted to hold on to and welcome a little person who needed to do things on her own to grow her own self esteem and self confidence in herself.

So to help foster this independence I have been slowly 'Montessoring' up each room of the house to 'Help her help herself"

So I have begun with the kitchen as this is where she probably needs to be independent the most.


In the pantry I have given her a shelf for her to prepare her breakfast and I have bought containers in which she can manage to pour breakfast herself.

Two breakfast cereals to choose from.(Rice Bubbles and Weetbix) The biggest container has a cup in it to help her pour her cereal. For Christmas I purchased her a child's scale, sifter and apple peeler.
I also have an old urn I found from around the house for water so she can pour her own drinks. I also have plates, bowls and cups. While they are plastic they will do for now as I slowly replace everything with real cutlery and crockery. They are still helping her become independent.   




I have also given her a a shelf in the fridge with already prepared fruit and vegetable that she can help herself to whenever she feels like it.



 Making an afternoon snack

Preparing her plate
Packing up her food and putting it away.



So as you can see you don't have to do much to allow your child to be independent. I am focusing on one room at a time and buying things bit by bit so it is not a huge financial hit to me and using what I already have around the house to help her become independent.

Just implementing these changes has allowed her to become a much happier girl in the last couple of days. By allowing her to be independent I have noticed that she is more responsible, more willing to help me do 'chores' and has taken on her new responsibilities with enjoyment and happiness and she is calmer.

I hope this inspires you to do more around your house. I have been so afraid to let go for so long and now that I finally have she has surprised me in so many ways.

Happy teaching

Kimba

2 comments:

  1. great idea, must start doing something similar (but on a smaller scale) because my daughter just turned 2, but she wants to do everything herself

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I had started sooner with my eldest. She is so much happier since she is able to do more things with her self. Pick one room at a time to work on and ask yourself 'What am I willing to let her to? and work on those things. Once you are comfortable with the things she can do you can allow more freedom around the house.

      Delete